Monday, May 25, 2009

Page of Swords



In the RWS deck, the Page of Swords is stepping to his left, looking back over her right shoulder. Her sword is raised, possibly in preparation for defense, but it looks more to me like a position of caution, hesitation, uncertainty. This is also reflected in her facial expression.

The way I have drawn this card shows the page as more defensive, perhaps even preparing to attack. Her face is more determined... don't mess with me or I'll cut your bloody head off!

Of course, all of the Pages in the RWS deck are male, although some could be considered to be somewhat androgynous. We certainly do not see any obvious female attributes in any of them. In some decks, we see that the Page has been changed to the Princess. I decided to stay more within the RWS tradition by sticking with the Page, but thought that this would be a really good opportunity to show a bad-ass young woman with a sword. What's not to like?

Color-wise, I'm not so sure that I see it with the sunny blue sky as in the RWS; perhaps a bit more ominous. We'll see... color is a long way off. Yes, it's windy-- note the hair and the belt blowing in the wind.

Another note-- something that I like about this card is that for some reason, it kind of reminds me of the art of N. C. Wyeth. I can't quite put my finger on why that is, exactly, but for some reason that 's kind of how it hits me.


(drawn on 4/3/09)

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! Tarot's always a great place to find inspiration. Good luck with your work.

    ReplyDelete