Sunday, May 17, 2009

7 of Swords



The 7 of Swords is my second drawing. Not to give anyone too much of a clue to my personality or any of my past behavior, but this is a card that I have pulled for myself on, let's just say, more than one occasion. This card does give one pause for thought in terms of one's actions and words. Let's just leave it at that.

As stated in the previous post, the 2 of Swords image just started running through my mind, with the point of view in tight on the figure. After finishing that drawing, I felt motivated to do more. I can't give you a real specific reason why I chose the 7 of Swords; it was just what came to me on its own. On this one, I started with an actual pencil sketch, which was then re-drawn in Photoshop.

I liked the tight point of view on the 2 of swords, so I used it again with this card. I really like the way the Rider-Waite-Smith deck is designed and drawn, but I sometimes feel like I want to know more about who these people on the cards actually are. Zooming in for a closer view gives a better look at the characters' expressions; this may change or modify our perspective in how we look at these cards; then again, perhaps not. I would assume that most people that are at all familiar with tarot would be familiar with the RWS images; I'm not looking to make any major changes (so far, at least), so if some of the items or elements of certain cards are missing due to my closer p.o.v. (point of view) or for some other reason, the viewer can keep those things in mind or not-- your choice. The missing blindfold on the 2 of Swords would be an example. You will see another example with the next card; The Hanged Man.

As with the previous card, the colors will be dark and moody on this one.

(drawn on February 15, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment